“Restraint and common sense”: reaction to the Israeli attack in Gaza | Israelo-Palestinian conflict

Israel’s deadly attack on the Gaza Strip and Palestinian rocket fire have drawn mixed reactions, with Israel and its allies defending the airstrikes and those supporting the beleaguered territory denouncing the violence.

Below is the global reaction to Friday’s deadly airstrikes in Gaza:

The United Nations

The UN’s special coordinator for the Middle East peace process, Tor Wennesland, has warned that the “dangerous” escalation risks creating the need for increased aid at a time when global resources are stretched thin by d other conflicts.

“In the past few hours, at least 10 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli airstrikes. I am deeply saddened by reports that a five-year-old child was killed in these strikes. No attack on civilians can be justified,” Wennesland said.

“The launching of rockets must cease immediately, and I call on all parties to avoid further escalation.”

United States

John Kirby, US National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications, defended Israel’s attack on Gaza and urged both sides to de-escalate the situation.

“We are actively engaged with regional Israeli-Palestinian partners to work towards a return to calm following these strikes. And we certainly urge all parties to avoid further escalation. We remain steadfast in our commitment to Israel’s security, and we will continue to work to strengthen all aspects of the US-Israeli partnership.

“We fully support Israel’s right to defend itself against terrorist groups that kill innocent civilians in Israel. As for the two-state solution, we remain committed to a two-state solution. This was one of the president’s key messages on this trip, both to Jerusalem and to Bethlehem. We always want this to be the outcome, but both parties have to want it too. »

Smoke rises after Israeli airstrikes on a building in Gaza City on Friday [Hatem Moussa/AP]

Turkey

Ankara “strongly” condemned Israeli airstrikes on Gaza and said it was “unacceptable that civilians, including children, should lose their lives in attacks”.

In a statement, the Foreign Office called for “restraint and common sense” following the deadly attacks on the blocked enclave.

“We are deeply concerned about the rising tensions in the region following the attacks. We stress the need to put an end to these events before they turn into a new spiral of conflict,” he said.

Egypt

Cairo is working to calm the latest escalation in Gaza. “We hope to reach a consensus to return to calm as soon as possible,” an unnamed security source told AFP news agency. Separately, another source said an Islamic Jihad delegation may visit Cairo later on Saturday.

Doha-based Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh held talks with “Egyptian intelligence” about the violence, according to a statement from the group. Egypt, the historic intermediary between Israel and armed groups in Gaza, brokered the ceasefire that ended the conflict in May last year.

Qatar

Qatar – a major donor that has spent billions of dollars to rebuild Gaza and support its people after the Israeli attacks – expressed its “strong condemnation and denunciation” of Friday’s attacks. He stressed “the need for the international community to act urgently to stop the [Israeli] the occupation’s repeated attacks against civilians, especially women and children”.

In a statement on Friday, the Foreign Ministry reiterated: “The firm stance of the State of Qatar on the justice of the Palestinian cause, the legitimate rights of the brotherly Palestinian people and the establishment of their independent state on the 1967 borders , with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Jordan

Amman demanded that Israel “immediately cease its aggression” against the Gaza Strip. Spokesman Haitham Abu al-Ful warned of “dangerous” consequences that “will only increase tension and violence and deepen the environment of desperation”.

“The solution to the problem of the Gaza Strip and the prevention of the escalation of violence lies in finding a real political horizon by returning to the negotiating table to achieve a just peace on the basis of the solution to two states,” he said.

Israel

In a televised statement, Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid pledged to do “whatever it takes to defend our people”.

“Israel conducted a precise counterterrorism operation against an immediate threat. Our fight is not with the people of Gaza.

“Islamic Jihad is an Iranian proxy, which wants to destroy the State of Israel and kill innocent Israelis. The head of Islamic Jihad is in Tehran as we speak. We will do whatever it takes to defend our people. Israel is not interested in a broader conflict in Gaza, but it will not shy away from it either.

Islamic Jihad

In a statement, Islamic Jihad said: “The enemy has started a war targeting our people, and we all have a duty to defend ourselves and our people, and not allow the enemy to get away with it. shoot with its actions, which are aimed at undermining national resistance and steadfastness.

Hamas

Ghazi Hamad, a senior figure in Hamas – the group that rules the Strip – said the latest attack is “a brutal crime, a massacre perpetrated by the Israeli occupation against our people”.

Palestinian factions are exploring the “best option for the Palestinian people”.

Palestinian Authority

The Palestinian Authority, which governs the occupied West Bank, condemned “Israeli aggression against the Gaza Strip and demanded its immediate end”.

“The presidency called on the international community to compel Israel to end this aggression against our people everywhere, especially in Gaza, and to provide them with international protection,” she said in a statement.

Leave a Comment